University of Arkansas Goes Silver!
The Office for Sustainability is proud to announce that our 2016 application for Bicycle Friendly University from The League of American Bicyclists was approved. The University of Arkansas attained the "Silver" status making leaps and bounds past the "honorable mention" of 2014. The award from The League of American Bicyclists is a nationally recognized organization that bases its awards on the following 5 characteristics; Engineering, Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, Evaluation. Below you will find some examples of what "Silver" status means for us. Look forward to more improvements in 2017 & 2018. If you have suggestions, questions, or comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Engineering - Campus has made a significant investment in its bicycle facilities and has invested in making the streets around the campus bicycle friendly. Engineering standards meet the currently recognized safety standards and regular training is provided for staff.
- Education - Bicycling educational materials are provided to all students, staff, and faculty. Safety classes are offered on a regular basis and the campus actively promotes safe bicycling.
- Encouragement - Campus has an on-campus bike shop and/or a bike-share program.
- Enforcement - Officers are familiar with laws relating to bicyclists and work with the bicycling community on campus to disseminate safety information to motorists and cyclists. Some officers are patrolling on bikes and provide safety outreach on-bike.
- Evaluation - A significant percentage of students, faculty and staff bike to campus more than twice a week. Goals have been set for campus-wide bike use.
Click here for the full list of 2016 Bicycle Friendly Universities.